Gomel State Medical University – GSMU
The Gomel State Medical University is the youngest and the fastest growing medical university in the republic of Belarus. GSMU is a state medical institution that is owned and operated by the government of Belarus and was founded in 1990. The University comprise of the Faculty of General Medicine, Faculty of Medical Diagnostics, Faculty of Pre-University Training and the Faculty of General Medicine for Overseas Students.
Currently over 4000 students study at this University. Faculty of General Medicine for overseas students was established in year 2000 and its foreign student population at the moment consists of over 550 students from 30 different countries including Sri Lanka, India USA, France, India, , Pakistan, Syria, Yemen, UK, Peru, etc.
Republic of Belarus
Doctor of Medicine
Tuition Fee – USD
Medium of Instruction– English (Russian Language is Taught during the first three years for the purpose of Clinical Training in State Hospitals in Belarus.
Intake(s) – February, September
Why Gomel State Medical University?
- A number of GSMU graduates are now successfully employed in Sri Lanka as well as many other countries of the world including UK, USA and Australia etc.
- Clinical training is one of the highlights of medical program of the GSMU. The clinical base comprises various general hospitals and specialized hospitals that are located in the city itself, with over 5000 beds.
- Students get the opportunity to view a variety of special cases daily and there are no limitations in visiting hospitals to broaden and up-date their clinical knowledge.
- Students have full access to libraries where they can refer a vast number of books. This includes both, the lending library and the reference library with limited numbers of special editions.
- One of the best e-libraries in the country. The e-library is very popular among students. They can go through a collection of E-books and a variety of journals, newsletters etc. free of charge, which facilitates the access to a wide range of modern medical information.
Recognition and Accreditation
- Listed in the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Sri Lankan Medical Council (SLMC),
- Maldivian Medical and Dental Council (MMDC)
- General Medical Council (GMC) UK
- Medical Council of India (MCI)
- Australia Medical Council (AMC)
- Education Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) of USA
There are two accommodation options. Students obviously have the freedom to select any of the following options as they wish for their convenience.
University Hostels – These are three room apartments, with a kitchen, toilet and a bathroom. There are separate blocks for boys and girls. Student hostel has a central heating system, both hot and cold water systems & gas supply to the kitchen. Rooms are furnished with single beds, chairs and study tables and wall fitted wardrobes and cupboards. Hostels are under the supervision of security personnel throughout 24 hours. Outsiders are not allowed to stay in hostels overnight.
Private Accommodation – Students can live in private accommodations as well. This option is obviously expensive in comparison to university hostels, but they can select a variety of additional facilities (under the guidance of IMC staff in Belarus) as per their desire as well as budget.
Sports and Recreation Facilities
University has a well-equipped Gymnasium and sporting facilities within walking distance from the hostel and university main building. Indoor badminton courts, football practicing facilities are some of the other facilities that university provides for students. Belarusian Universities provide great place for the students to relax and engage in outdoor sports and recreation activities during their free time.