New Castle University Medicine (NUMed)
Newcastle University UK, established an international branch campus, Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia (NUMed) in Johor, Malaysia in 2011. The campus provides undergraduate degrees in Medicine (MBBS) and Biomedical Sciences (BSc), as well as opportunities for foundation and postgraduate study.
The programs of study are identical to Newcastle’s UK-based provision, and lead to the award of the same degrees, conferred by Newcastle University, UK. By choosing to study at NUMed Malaysia, students will obtain a reputable UK qualification, from an internationally recognized university, at a cost significantly less than that of studying for the same degrees in the UK.
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
Tuition Fee – RM
Medium of Instruction– English (Bahsa Malaysia in taught during the first two years to facilitate clinical learning in Malaysian State and Private Hospitals)
Intake(s) – September
Why Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia
- Reputation – The reputation and popularity of the University is backed up by the high-quality teaching and learning experience and the research opportunities available to students.
- A Russell Group University – Newcastle is a Russell Group University that consistently ranks in the top 20 in the UK for research power and student experience. It is the first UK University to establish a fully owned international branch campus for medicine and the biomedical sciences in Malaysia.
- The Quality Assurance of Basic Medical Education (QABME) framework makes sure that standards in new and existing undergraduate and postgraduate medical education and training are being monitored, maintained, developed and approved.
- NUMed Malaysia’s MB BS also meets the UK’s Quality Assurance Agency’s (QAA) Code of Practice and is in alignment with QAA subject benchmarks. The last QAA review took place in 2016. The QAA commended our management of academic standards and quality of learning by giving us a ‘judgment of confidence’ – the highest rating available.
- Ranking – top 50 in the world for biomedical and health sciences.
- Among the best British universities for medicine in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and The Complete University Guide 2018.
- Ranked 7th in the UK for overall student satisfaction, with a score of 95% in the National Student Survey 2016.
- Newcastle Research ranked 9th overall in the UK in the ‘Clinical Medicine’ category (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Top 150 universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.
Recognition and Accreditation
- Listed in the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Sri Lankan Medical Council (SLMC),
- Maldivian Medical and Dental Council (MMDC)
- General Medical Council (GMC) UK
- Malaysian Medical Council (MMC)
- Australia Medical Council (AMC)
- Education Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG USA)
NUMed has its own managed student accommodation which is truly multinational, multi-ethnic and multicultural.
The new accommodation is just a 10-minute drive from the campus, with free, regular transport provided. We provide transport not only between the accommodation and the campus, but also between the accommodation and the nearby facilities, including eateries, shopping centres, entertainment outlets and other recreational attractions.
We offer high-quality self-catering apartments, arranged as a number of study-bedrooms sharing a central kitchen/living room and shower facilities.
Each apartment is self-catering and is equipped with its own fridge, cooker and washing machine.
These brand-new apartments are managed by NUMed and you can therefore expect a responsive and efficient service.